Tad A. Nelson
After a successful career as a prosecutor Tad Nelson opened the doors to a different type of law firm. Mr. Nelson wanted to create a unique law firm that was more concerned with the client’s well being than the fee the client could generate. Tad understood that a client charged with a criminal act needs someone to assist with the emotional stresses of being arrested as much as the legal issues. Well being does not always mean just getting the client a “good deal”. Well being means helping the client understand the process, well being means explaining all the obstacles that the client faces, and most of all, well being means assuring the client that you are doing everything you can to achieve a satisfactory outcome and that all of their concerns are important to you.
Tad Nelson has created a unique Houston DWI defense law firm experience for his clients; where they can sit and ask questions in a relaxed atmosphere until their concerns are addressed. The serious criminal defense firm of Tad Nelson & Associates provides the client with “big city experience, with small town values”.
Tad Nelson is a lifelong resident of the Texas Gulf Coast region. Mr. Nelson was born on Galveston Island and graduated from the local public high school, Galveston Ball in 1983. After graduation, Mr. Nelson traveled to Austin to attend the University of Texas.
Tad Nelson started his legal career as a State Prosecutor under the supervision of Michael J. Guarino. Tad Nelson served as an Assistant District Attorney from 1992 to 1995 with distinction. Mr. Nelson was always ready to try the tough case, but he never forgot the importance of doing what was morally and ethically correct. As a prosecutor Tad always said,”It is more important to do right, than to be right”. It was during this time that Tad Nelson learned the importance of service and its importance to the community. It was also during this time that Mr. Nelson learned the skills to be a serious effective criminal defense attorney.
At Nelson & Associates we understand the trauma that accompanies being arrested. You experience embarrassment, humiliation, concern about your family and most of all uncertainty about your future. We know this! We understand most people have never had to get a friend or a loved one out of jail, and we know that most people don’t even know where to start.
We also realize the anxiety associated with that first visit to an attorney’s office. Usually a prospective client sits in a waiting room surrounded by diplomas and plaques while filling out an information form. Then the client gets invited to an office with more of the same and sits across a huge desk from an attorney while they discuss the case. This is all very intimidating. At Tad Nelson & Associates we do all we can to make a prospective client feel both comfortable and confident; and we do our best to alleviate any stress you may have about the uncertainty of the criminal judicial system.
In both our Galveston and League City offices, we provide an atmosphere that is more of a home than an office. We allow clients to relax and we encourage them to ask questions until they are satisfied that they understand the road ahead. At Tad Nelson & Associates you benefit from our big city experience as well as our small town values.
Areas of Practice
- Child Support
- Criminal Fraud
- Criminal Law
- Custody & Visitation
- Drug Violations
- Family Law
- Juvenile Crimes
- Motor Vehicle Accidents — Plaintiff
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- Sex Offenses
- Traffic Violations
- White Collar Crimes
Certified Legal Specialties
- Capital Murder Trials Pertaining to the Death Penalty, State of Texas Certified 1st Chair
- Texas, 1991
- Supreme Court of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Attorney Tad Nelson is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Texas State Bar Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Association of Criminal Defense Layers
- Harris County Lawyers Association
- Galveston County Criminal Lawyers Association
- Harris County Bar Association
- Galveston County Bar Association
- State Bar College
- National College for DUI Defense
Past Employment Positions
- Criminal Defense Practice (Houston/Galveston Area), 1995 – 2012
- Galveston Community College, Adjunct Professor of Business Law, 1995 – Present
- Attorney Tad Nelson Received Board Certification in Criminal Defense by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1995-present
- Galveston County District Attorney’s Office, Assistant District Attorney, 1992 – 1995
Pro Bono Activities
- Board Member Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Gulf Coast
- Past President, Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Gulf Coast
- Rotary Club of Galveston
- Lions Club of League City