Get Help From Some Top-Rated Criminal Defense Attorneys in Galveston
At The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates, our Galveston criminal defense lawyers fight tirelessly to protect the legal rights of our clients. You do not have to take on law enforcement or prosecutors alone. We implement aggressive and innovative trial strategies to ensure that you are able to get the very best outcome in your case. If you or your loved one was arrested and charged with a crime, we are here to help. For a fully private, no commitment consultation with a top Texas criminal defense lawyer, please contact our Galveston office today.
We Handle the Full Range of Felony and Misdemeanor Charges in Galveston
With a conveniently located office in the heart of Galveston, The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates is a criminal defense firm devoted to protecting top quality, fully personalized guidance and support to our clients. Our firm handles the full range of misdemeanor and felony charges in Texas. Regardless of the precise circumstances that you are facing, we are prepared to put in the time, resources, and attention to the smallest of details to help you find the very best path forward. Along with other types of criminal charges, our Galveston attorneys defend:
- DWI Charges: We represent clients facing all types of DWI charges, including first-time, multiple offenses, and DWI crash charges. If you or your loved one was arrested on a drunk driving charge or drugged driving charge, please do not hesitate to contact our Galveston DWI defense lawyer.
- Hit-and-Run Accidents: Beyond DWI cases, our lawyer handles the full range of other traffic-related criminal charges. Notable examples include hit-and-run collisions, leaving the scene of an accident, and vehicular manslaughter.
- Drug Charges: Drug crimes are among the most common charges in Southeast Texas. Tad A. Nelson defends clients against all types of drug-related offenses, including drug possession, drug distribution, and drug trafficking charges. If you or your loved one was arrested, contact our Galveston drug crimes defense attorney today.
- Domestic Violence Charges: We provide solutions-driven defense for clients facing domestic violence charges. Notably, our law firm also handles family law issues. With experience handling family law and domestic violence cases, we bring unique expertise to the table for clients who have been accused of domestic violence.
- Sex Crimes Offenses: Sex crimes are among the most highly stigmatized criminal charges. Our Galveston, TX defense lawyers understand how challenging these cases are. We defend clients against all types of sex crimes, including sexual assault, statutory rape and indecent exposure.
- White Collar Crimes: White collar crimes charges are highly complex. It is crucial that you have a sophisticated and experienced attorney in your corner. We represent clients facing white collar crime charges such as embezzlement and fraud. If you or your family member was arrested, contact our Galveston white collar defense lawyer for immediate help.
- Juvenile Offenses: Similar to other states, Texas has a specialized juvenile justice process in place. Underage offenders have additional options for rehabilitation. A youthful indiscretion should not ruin your child’s life. We represent minors facing criminal charges and work towards rehabilitation and reduced penalties. Contact our Galveston, TX juvenile justice lawyer for guidance and support.
- Misdemeanor Charges: Although misdemeanor charges are not as severe as felony charges, these cases still must be taken very seriously. Our firm handles felony offenses. We provide aggressive defense for clients facing all types of misdemeanor charges. Contact our Galveston criminal law attorney today for a confidential review of your case.
- Serious Felony Offenses: In Texas, a felony is defined as a criminal charge that carries up to one year in prison. We defend clients facing serious felony charges—from assault to sex offenses to homicides. If you or your family member was arrested and charged with a felony offense, please do not hesitate to contact our Galveston criminal defense attorneys today.
- Probation Violations: Are you on probation? You could face very serious charges for a violation. Whether it is a new law violation or a technical violation, we can help. Our Galveston criminal defense lawyer represents clients accused of violating their probation conditions.
- Federal Criminal Charges: Although the large majority of criminal cases are handled at the state level, certain charges may be federal crimes. Our Galveston, TX criminal defense lawyer has the skills and experience to handle complex federal cases.
- Grand Jury Proceedings: We handle grand jury proceedings for our clients in Galveston, Texas and provide aggressive defense to ensure the best possible outcome. We understand the nuances and complexities of grand jury proceedings, and work to protect our clients’ rights throughout the process.
- Expungement: In certain circumstances, you may have the ability to get a criminal record sealed or removed in Texas. Our Galveston, TX defense lawyers assist clients in petitioning to have criminal records sealed or expunged. If you have any questions about your rights or your options, please do not hesitate to contact us for help.
- Criminal Appeals: Were you convicted of a crime in Galveston County? It is normal to be frustrated—but you are not necessarily out of options. You may appeal the conviction. We represent clients in criminal appeals to overturn wrongful convictions and seek justice. Appellate law is complicated. You need an advocate with specialized experience.
What to Do If You are Arrested on Criminal Charges in Galveston, Texas
If you or your loved one was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor or felony offense in Galveston, it is imperative that you know what to do next. A proactive approach can make all of the difference. Here are four steps to take after being arrested in Galveston:
- Remain Calm—Never Try to Evade or Resist the Arrest: The first step is to remain calm and not try to evade or resist the arrest. Attempting to resist arrest or flee the scene can lead to additional charges and may harm yourself or others. Follow the instructions of the arresting officer and comply with their reasonable requests (except for answering any questions or agreeing to a search).
- Invoke Your Right to Remain Silent (Do Not Talk to Police): The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution protects your right to remain silent. Do not talk to the police or anyone else, including the jail staff, about the charges or the circumstances of your arrest. The simple reality is that you are not going to talk yourself out of trouble. However, you could easily talk yourself into more trouble.
- Do Not Agree to Consent to a Search of Your Person or Property: The third step is to not agree to consent to a search of your person or property. Police may ask for your consent to search you, your car, your home or other property. You have the legal right to refuse a search without a warrant. Politely but firmly decline any request for a search without a warrant and make it clear that you do not consent. The police may conduct a search regardless—but if you do not give your consent you can challenge the legality of that search in court.
- Get Help From an Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer: The fourth and most important step is to get help from an experienced attorney as soon as possible. A good criminal defense attorney can advise you of your rights, ensure that you know the implications of the charges against you, and develop a strategy to protect your rights and interests. It is important to remember that hiring an attorney as early as possible, will give your attorney more time to gather evidence, interview the witnesses and build a stronger case for you.
Why Trust Galveston Defense Attorney Tad Nelson
An arrest can be one of the most challenging and stressful experiences that a person can ever endure. You have a lot at stake. During these trying times, it is crucial that you have a knowledgeable advocate in your corner. Our founder and managing attorney combines big city experience, small town values, and dedication to justice to provide the highest level of representation to our clients. We are proactive, not reactive. When you connect with us at our Galveston law office, you will have access to a top Texas criminal defense attorney who can:
- Hear your story, answer your questions, and explain the next steps in the justice system;
- Investigate the case and the charges, gathering relevant evidence and information;
- Help you evaluate all possible options for reducing charges or penalties through a plea; and
- Craft a fully customized criminal defense strategy designed to meet your specific needs.
Criminal Charges in Texas: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I Need The Help Of Tx Criminal Defense Lawyers If I Am Innocent?
Yes. Even if you are innocent of the charges that have been filed, it is still important to have a top-rated defense attorney on your side. Being accused of a crime can be a confusing and overwhelming experience, and navigating the criminal justice system can be difficult without the help of a legal professional. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help protect your rights and ensure that you are treated fairly throughout the criminal process.
A criminal defense lawyer will also advise you on the best course of action, help you understand the charges against you, and guide you through the criminal justice system. A defense attorney will also be able to investigate the facts of your case, gather and review evidence, and work to build a strong defense on your behalf. They can interview witnesses, negotiate plea agreements, and if necessary, present your case in court. A criminal defense attorney will also be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecution’s case, and help to put forward an effective defense strategy.
Should I Accept a Plea Agreement?
A plea agreement may or may not make sense for your specific situation. The answer to whether or not you should take a plea deal is always “it depends.” It is crucial that you keep in mind that a plea agreement is a negotiation between the prosecution and the defense. The prosecution may offer a reduced charge or a less severe sentence in exchange for a guilty plea. You must be well informed about the potential ramifications of the plea offer, before making a decision. An experienced Galveston, TX criminal defense lawyer can help you find the best solution.
Can You Appeal a Criminal Conviction in Texas?
Yes, it is possible to appeal a criminal conviction in Texas. However, there are certain limitations and requirements that must be met in order to do so. One of the main limitations is that there is a limited time frame in which to file a notice of appeal. In Texas, a notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days of the final judgment in the case. It is important to be aware of this deadline, as missing it can result in the loss of the right to appeal.
Another requirement for appealing a criminal conviction in Texas is that there must be grounds for the appeal. These grounds typically include errors made during the trial such as incorrect jury instructions or the admission of inadmissible evidence. It’s also possible to appeal on the grounds that the verdict is not supported by the weight of the evidence, on a claim of ineffective assistance of counsel or other mitigating circumstances.
Schedule a Confidential Consultation With a Galveston, TX Criminal Defense Lawyer Today
At The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates, our Galveston criminal defense attorney is an experienced, justice-focused, and knowledgeable advocate for defendants. Were you arrested and charged with a crime? You need a top lawyer on your side. Contact us today for your strictly confidential initial consultation. With an office in Galveston, we provide criminal defense representation throughout Galveston County, including in Texas City, Dickinson, La Marque, Santa Fe, Bacliff, Hitchcock, Kemah, Clear Lake Shores, Bolivar Peninsula, and San Leon.
Contacting us will only take a moment of your day
Tad and Amber are literally top of the game. When I need results, they are the only people I trust. Quality of service, knowledge and professionalism throughout. Don't gamble with a lawyer on any legal issue, you only want to bet on the best!
Thank you Tad Nelson for standing up for me and what is right, Tad Nelson is obviously well known and respected through out the court system as he spoke with authority and precisely to the assistant DA resulting in the dismissal of my case before the case went to trial. Thank you again. if you want it done call Tad Nelson
I hired them a while back for a DWI out in Harris County, they're good and if you need help with any kind of legal matter, give em a call. For a lawyer, Tad has a great personality so working with him should be easier than working with other lawyers.
He is the one lawyer that I can call and put my trust into. We’ve used him a couple of times, once for a family matter and another time for a troubled relative. He’ll help, tell you the truth with no sugar-coating, and will work for his salt. He’s a good guy and when you go to their office, they make you feel at home, like you’re part of the team. Good lawyers and great folks.
I've had the pleasure of working with Tad personally as a technology consultant for him in the past. We've eaten lunch and dinner together. I know that Tad is very dedicated to his clients and cares for them off the clock. He's definitely the lawyer you want on your side.