We Defend Felony and Misdemeanor Criminal Charges in Texas City
At The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates, our Texas City criminal defense lawyer is an aggressive, solutions-focused advocate for clients. With more than three decades of collective experience and more than 325 jury trials, our criminal defense firm has the expertise you can rely on. If you or your loved one was arrested and charged with a criminal offense, we can help. Contact us today to set up a confidential consultation with a top Galveston County criminal defense attorney.
We Handle the Full Range of Criminal Charges in Texas City
The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates is a criminal defense firm that has profound expertise and deep experience handling cases in Galveston County. We are founded by a former Texas prosecutor who has unique insight into the criminal justice system. Whether you are facing a minor misdemeanor or a serious felony in Texas City, we are committed to helping to find the best solution for your specific situation. Criminal charges that we have experience with in Texas City include:
- DWI Charges: Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) is a significant criminal charge in Texas. If you are pulled over and charged with a DWI in Texas City, you could potentially be looking at jail time—even for a first-time offense. A DWI is generally a Class B misdemeanor criminal charge in Texas. Though, a person could face more serious criminal charges if certain aggravating factors are present—such as an accident causing an injury, a child in the car, or a prior history of DWI offenses. We have proven expertise DWI cases in Galveston County and across all of Southeast Texas. Arrested for drunk driving or drugged driving? Contact our Texas City DWI defense attorney for immediate help.
- Drug Charges: Texas has some of the strictest drug laws in the entire country. A person could face a wide range of drug-related charges in Texas City—ranging from simple possession to drug trafficking or drug manufacturing. The consequences vary based on the type and quantity of the drug in question. We defend all types of drug charges. Contact us today to set up a confidential consultation with a Texas City drug crimes defense lawyer.
- Sex Crimes Charges: An allegation of a sex-based offense should always be handled with the utmost sensitivity and professionalism. These are serious crimes. A conviction can carry deep personal stigma, a lengthy prison sentence, and even lifetime registration as a sex offender. We defend the full spectrum of sex crimes charges in Galveston County. If you or your loved one is facing a sex crimes allegation in Texas City, please do not hesitate to contact us today for a confidential consultation.
- White Collar Offenses: White collar criminal charges are especially complex. A conviction can carry heavy penalties, including substantial fines and imprisonment. We handle all types of white collar criminal charges in Texas, including embezzlement, insider trading, and fraud. A proactive defense is especially important in a white collar case. A person may learn that they are under investigation for a white collar crime well before any charges are filed. We defend white collar criminal offenses in Texas City and throughout Galveston County.
- Misdemeanor Crimes: Though they might sound less severe, misdemeanor crimes absolutely should not be taken lightly. Charges like theft under a certain amount, simple assault, or public intoxication can carry penalties that include fines, community service, probation, and even jail time. Indeed, certain misdemeanors can carry up to one-year in jail in Texas. Facing a misdemeanor charge in Texas City? Contact us today for a strictly confidential consultation.
- Serious Felonies: Serious felonies in Texas City cover a range of offenses that require immediate attention from an experienced defense lawyer. Convictions for these crimes can lead to extended prison sentences, large fines, and long-term probation. With more than 300 jury trials handled, we have the experience needed to take on even the most severe of felony criminal charges in Texas City. Contact us today for your confidential consultation.
- Grand Jury Proceedings: Before many felonies reach trial, they undergo grand jury proceedings. Broadly explained, a grand jury is a secretive process that involves a panel determining if there is enough evidence for formal charges. You should be represented by a lawyer if you are facing a grand jury. You may be able to get a criminal case in Texas City dismissed before any formal charges are ever actually filed. If you have any questions about grand jury proceedings, please do not hesitate to contact our Texas City criminal defense lawyer today.
- Expungements: Mistakes happen. Texas law provides avenues for certain people to clear and/or seal their records through expungements. The expungement process can be life-changing. By expunging certain arrests or convictions, it can be easier for a person to move forward with their life. We help people navigate the expungement process, including understanding their eligibility. If you have any questions about expungement, our Texas City criminal defense lawyer is here to help.
- Criminal Appeals: Were you or your loved one convicted of a criminal offense in Texas City? You may still have options to fight the case through an appeal—but the clock is ticking. There are strict deadlines for criminal appeals in Texas. It is important to emphasize that an appeal isn’t a re-trial. It is an examination of whether proper legal procedures were followed. Given its intricate nature, handling appeals requires a deep understanding of the law and a strategic approach. It is a specialized area of law that we are qualified to help navigate. We handle the full range of criminal appeals in Galveston County.
How to Protect Your Rights When Facing Criminal Charges in Texas City
Being accused of a crime can be an overwhelming, even traumatic experience. It is imperative that you understand your rights. Remember, police and prosecutors are not on your side. They are focused on obtaining a conviction. If you are facing a criminal charge in Texas City, you should be aware that you have the following three fundamental constitutional rights:
- You Have the Right to Remain Silent: The Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects you from self-incrimination. How does it work in practice? During police questioning or at any point in the judicial process including on the witness stand, you have the right to choose not to answer questions or make statements. You can remain silent—and that you choose to remain silent cannot be used against you as evidence of your guilt. You should always exercise your right to remain silent. After an arrest, do not agree to answer questions from law enforcement without consulting with a Texas City defense attorney.
- You Have the Right to Be Free From Unreasonable Searches: The Fourth Amendment provides protection against unreasonable searches and seizures by law enforcement. As a general rule, police officers need a valid search warrant or probable cause to search your person or property—unless you give them consent to conduct the search. You have the right to decline any search. While this might not prevent the search, it can play a role in a subsequent criminal case. Your Texas City criminal defense lawyer can file a motion to suppress any unlawfully obtained evidence.
- You Have the Right to an Attorney: The Sixth Amendment guarantees the assistance of counsel for those accused of crimes. From the moment you are taken into custody and throughout the legal process, you have the right to representation. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court is obligated to provide one for you at public expense. It is always advisable to seek counsel before speaking to law enforcement. Our Texas City criminal defense lawyers are standing by, ready to get started on your case right away.
Why Rely On the Texas City Defense Lawyers at The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates
Were you arrested and charged with a misdemeanor or felony criminal offense in Texas City? You need a skilled advocate on your side. Our founding attorney Tad A. Nelson and our associate attorney Amber R. Spurlock are experienced criminal defense attorneys devoted to protecting the rights of people going through difficult times. We are proactive and solutions-oriented. Among other things, our Texas City criminal defense lawyer is ready to:
- Listen to your story and answer questions about your charges;
- Investigate the allegations—gathering the evidence to build a defense;
- Handle all of the correspondence with police and prosecutors; and
- Develop a personalized criminal defense strategy to help you get the best results.
Contact Our Texas City Criminal Defense Attorneys for a Confidential Consultation
At The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates, our Texas City criminal defense lawyer represents clients with big city experience and small town values. Were you or your loved one arrested? We are more than ready to help. Give us a phone call us (409) 765-5614 or send us a message online to set your strictly confidential initial appointment. Our criminal defense firm handles misdemeanor and felony charges in Texas City and all across Galveston County.
Contacting us will only take a moment of your day
Tad and Amber are literally top of the game. When I need results, they are the only people I trust. Quality of service, knowledge and professionalism throughout. Don't gamble with a lawyer on any legal issue, you only want to bet on the best!
Thank you Tad Nelson for standing up for me and what is right, Tad Nelson is obviously well known and respected through out the court system as he spoke with authority and precisely to the assistant DA resulting in the dismissal of my case before the case went to trial. Thank you again. if you want it done call Tad Nelson
I hired them a while back for a DWI out in Harris County, they're good and if you need help with any kind of legal matter, give em a call. For a lawyer, Tad has a great personality so working with him should be easier than working with other lawyers.
He is the one lawyer that I can call and put my trust into. We’ve used him a couple of times, once for a family matter and another time for a troubled relative. He’ll help, tell you the truth with no sugar-coating, and will work for his salt. He’s a good guy and when you go to their office, they make you feel at home, like you’re part of the team. Good lawyers and great folks.
I've had the pleasure of working with Tad personally as a technology consultant for him in the past. We've eaten lunch and dinner together. I know that Tad is very dedicated to his clients and cares for them off the clock. He's definitely the lawyer you want on your side.