Hire a Top-Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Santa Fe, TX
The Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates is an established criminal defense law firm in Santa Fe, Texas. We have dedicated our lives to defending anyone accused of a crime in the state and work overtime to ensure that you are treated fairly during the process. Being arrested for a crime is a dizzying experience. Many people have no idea what they should do, but the choices you make in the immediate aftermath could alter the course of your life forever. To receive a top-rated defense, please contact our firm today to speak with a member of our team.
We Can Defend Against Misdemeanor and Felony Charges
Our experienced criminal defense attorneys in Santa Fe, TX can defend anyone accused of a misdemeanor or felony charge. Any criminal case is serious. You need someone who can present a vigorous defense based on the most recent scientific evidence and legal developments. We can defend you from any criminal charge, no matter how big or small, including:
- DWI. Driving while intoxicated includes being drunk or high behind the wheel of a vehicle. We can help anyone facing these charges, including first-time or repeat offenders. We can also represent clients in the administrative license suspension.
- Traffic offenses. In addition to DWI, our law firm can defend anyone accused of other traffic offenses, including hit and run accidents, driving on a suspended license, or fleeing from arrest.
- Misdemeanor charges. Many misdemeanors have a reputation for being “minor,” but there’s nothing minor about a conviction for simple assault, criminal mischief, or criminal trespass. Misdemeanor convictions make life difficult for anyone and can result in a criminal history, as well as time in jail and fines.
- Juvenile offenses. Minors typically go through the juvenile justice system, which is focused on rehabilitation instead of punishment. Still, your child needs an experienced criminal defense attorney to ensure fair treatment.
- Drug charges. Tad Nelson has defended countless people of drug possession, drug trafficking, or drug distribution. We can defend anyone caught with any controlled substance, including marijuana.
- Domestic violence. Frivolous accusations of domestic violence are common, especially during divorce. Our law firm has deep experience in family law, so we understand how judges analyze domestic violence cases and can work to protect your liberty.
- Sex crimes. Anyone accused of a sex crime needs an aggressive defense. Some crimes include rape, sexual assault, solicitation, possession of child pornography, and indecency with a child. Don’t let an accusation stain your reputation.
- Serious felonies. Felonies are more serious than misdemeanors and carry a minimum of one year behind bars. Our firm can defend those accused of any felony, including homicide, sexual assault, theft, and other crimes.
- Federal charges. The federal government runs its own criminal justice system. Many state-level offenses are also federal, including drug crimes, weapons offenses, and fraud.
- White collar offenses. Crimes involving money or lying are typically classified as white-collar offenses. We have deep experience defending those accused of mail fraud, perjury, kickbacks, embezzlement, and other crimes.
- Probation violations. Probation allows those convicted to remain in the community with conditions as they serve out their sentence. Any violation could cause a judge to revoke your probation and send you back to jail. Contact our Santa Fe criminal defense lawyer for help showing that any violation was unintentional or minor.
- Criminal appeals. A conviction does not end the criminal process. If a judge made a serious error in your case, or if no evidence supported the guilty verdict, we can seek relief from a higher appellate court.
Criminal Penalties: Serious and Life Changing
Texas seeks to punish those convicted of crimes with a range of penalties, including:
- Jail or prison time
- Community service
- Education classes
- Loss of driving privileges
The penalties you face will depend on many factors, including any aggravating circumstances, such as an elderly victim. Your criminal history matters, too. Someone with previous felony or misdemeanor convictions can see their penalties enhanced and additional years tacked onto their sentence.
Judges retain discretion in most cases, so the right attorney can argue forcefully for a reduced sentence. Our criminal defense attorneys don’t rest after a guilty verdict but instead argue for why you should stay out of prison or jail.
No Crime is Too Small: Repercussions from a Criminal Conviction
There is a misconception that some crimes are so “minor” that it’s okay to plead guilty. That is a serious mistake. There are many downstream repercussions that a person can face, such as:
- Difficulty obtaining an apartment. Landlords live in fear that criminals will move in and either damage the property or invite criminal activity onto the premises. For this reason, most run a thorough background check and will reject someone who has a criminal conviction.
- Rejection from jobs. Few laws limit the ability of employers to pull a background check and search for criminal arrests or convictions. Many employers won’t even consider someone with a conviction.
- Denial or loss of professional license. Most professions in Texas are regulated by boards, including medicine, law, and education. These boards can deny someone a license to practice their profession due to a criminal conviction, and they can suspend someone currently licensed.
Felony convictions also carry the loss of certain civil rights:
- Loss of voting rights. Convicted felons lose the right to vote while they are incarcerated and until they complete their entire probation or parole. They do gain the right to vote after completing their sentence.
- Prohibition from running for office. Once convicted, a felony can never run for office unless they obtain a pardon.
- Exclusion from jury service. Felons cannot serve on a jury after conviction.
- Loss of gun rights. A felony conviction will prevent someone from legally owning a gun, with only a limited ability to get those rights back after serving their sentence.
Some convictions can follow you for decades, making it harder to get yourself established. Your best bet is to fight the criminal charge aggressively by hiring the Law Office of Tad Nelson & Associates to defend you.
Why You Should Trust Our Team
Many defendants wonder if they should request a public defender and dispense with paying for their own attorney. We recommend contacting our law firm instead.
Public defenders are overworked and can commit little time to most cases. Many public defenders recommend their clients accept a plea deal, and that’s the full extent of the “defense” offered. Many public defender offices suffer from high turnover, with inexperienced lawyers tackling most cases. It’s no surprise that some are in over their head.
Our law firm is different. We limit the number of cases we accept so that we can dedicate ourselves full-time to obtaining the best result possible.
- Analyze all pieces of evidence to find gaps in the state’s case against you;
- Find additional evidence that shows you are not guilty of the crime;
- Talk to alibi witnesses who can place you somewhere other than the crime scene;
- Review chemical tests and other physical evidence, which is often less impressive than the state realizes;
- Ask the judge to suppress certain evidence because the police gathered it in violation of your constitutional rights;
- Negotiate a generous plea deal for your case;
- Seek dismissal of the charges when there is insufficient evidence you committed the crime; and
- Defend you in court.
Very few public defenders have the experience we bring on behalf of our clients. And even better: you can afford our services. Call us today to discuss your payment options. You deserve the highest level of defense possible when facing any criminal charge.
Steps to Take if Arrested for a Crime in Santa Fe, Texas
It’s no exaggeration that certain mistakes defendants make when arrested contribute to their convictions. If possible, we recommend that you do the following:
- Submit peacefully to arrest. This is hard, especially if you are innocent. But resisting arrest or fighting with the police can result in additional criminal charges—and possibly injuries if the police use violent force to subdue you.
- Do not consent to any search of your property. Some police will quickly ask for permission to go through your jacket or cellphone, or they might want to walk through your house. Don’t give permission. They might walk through anyway, but your lawyer can challenge a search without a warrant.
- Do not answer questions. The Fifth Amendment explicitly states you cannot be forced to testify against yourself. This protection covers questions at the police station. Instead of answering, simply say you want a lawyer and remain silent.
- Call Tad Nelson & Associates. A criminal case changes dramatically once a defendant hires a lawyer. Avoid delay.
Family members who watch a loved one get arrested need to be careful as well. Do not give permission for someone to search your property. You also should not destroy evidence or hide anything, which could result in criminal charges against you as an accessory.
Talk with a Santa Fe Criminal Defense Lawyer Today
Many innocent people get arrested for crimes. And even those who mess up and make a mistake should not spend years behind bars. Get the effective legal defense you need by calling Tad Nelson & Associates today to schedule a consultation.
Contacting us will only take a moment of your day
Tad and Amber are literally top of the game. When I need results, they are the only people I trust. Quality of service, knowledge and professionalism throughout. Don't gamble with a lawyer on any legal issue, you only want to bet on the best!
Thank you Tad Nelson for standing up for me and what is right, Tad Nelson is obviously well known and respected through out the court system as he spoke with authority and precisely to the assistant DA resulting in the dismissal of my case before the case went to trial. Thank you again. if you want it done call Tad Nelson
I hired them a while back for a DWI out in Harris County, they're good and if you need help with any kind of legal matter, give em a call. For a lawyer, Tad has a great personality so working with him should be easier than working with other lawyers.
He is the one lawyer that I can call and put my trust into. We’ve used him a couple of times, once for a family matter and another time for a troubled relative. He’ll help, tell you the truth with no sugar-coating, and will work for his salt. He’s a good guy and when you go to their office, they make you feel at home, like you’re part of the team. Good lawyers and great folks.
I've had the pleasure of working with Tad personally as a technology consultant for him in the past. We've eaten lunch and dinner together. I know that Tad is very dedicated to his clients and cares for them off the clock. He's definitely the lawyer you want on your side.