Pearland, TX Divorce Attorney
Top-Rated Divorce Lawyer Representing Clients in Pearland, TX
No one really envisions themselves getting a divorce. Indeed, even when a divorce is underway, it can feel like you’re living someone else’s life. At the law offices of Tad Nelson, our Pearland, TX divorce attorney knows that divorce wasn’t something you were planning for. Our experienced divorce attorney can guide you through the divorce process and provide you with support when you need it most. To learn more about filing for a Pearland, TX divorce, please call our law firm today.
Issues in a Divorce
One of the reasons that divorce is so time-consuming and emotional is that it involves more than just walking away from your spouse; when you divorce, you must resolve certain issues before the divorce can be finalized. Working with your spouse to resolve these issues can be painful and frustrating. We understand this, and will provide you with aggressive legal support throughout the process.
Before your divorce can be finalized, you and your spouse will need to reach a resolution about the following:
- How property will be divided in your divorce and who will get what assets;
- How debts will be settled – i.e. who will be responsible for paying any outstanding debts;
- Where any shared children will live after the divorce;
- What the visiting rights of the parent without primary caregiving responsibilities are; and
- Whether or not alimony will be part of the divorce settlement.
For some couples, it can take months of negotiations to reach a settlement and, in some cases, the case may go to litigation nonetheless. For other couples, reaching a settlement is more straightforward – some couples are in agreement about how to settle at the time they file for divorce. This is known as an uncontested divorce.
Important Facts About a Pearland, TX Divorce
Before you file for a divorce, it’s important that you know the following about the process.
- You must be a resident to file for divorce. First, you must be a resident to file for a divorce in Pearland. Residency in this case means that either you or your spouse have lived in the state for at least six months prior to filing.
- You must serve your spouse/respond to a petition for divorce. If you are filing for a divorce, it is not enough to just file your paperwork; you must also make sure that your spouse is served with that paperwork. If you are not the one who is filing for a divorce, then you have an obligation to respond to the divorce paperwork within 20 days of receiving the petition and summons for divorce.
- You must wait at least 60 days. Even if you and your spouse are in agreement about how to resolve the divorce and the divorce is uncontested, there is a mandatory 60-day waiting period from the time you file your divorce to when it can be settled.
- Working with an attorney is advised. Contested or uncontested, working with an attorney is strongly encouraged. An attorney can help you to make sure that you are following proper procedures for the divorce and that you understand all of your options. It’s also important to have an attorney who can review your final settlement – you want legal advice before signing.
How to Improve the Outcome of Your Case
Knowing how your divorce will settle is impossible, but there are some things that you can do to improve your chances of a settlement that’s in your favor.
- First, hire an attorney as soon as possible. The earlier that a lawyer starts working on your case, the greater the likelihood of a more favorable case outcome.
- Second, stay organized. It’s important that you have a thorough understanding of your finances, where you plan to live, etc.
- Third, keep things civil. It can be hard to be nice to your spouse in a divorce, but remaining civil and professional during all interactions is important. It’s also important to keep off of social media.
Work with a Pearland, TX Divorce Attorney
There is nothing easy about going through a divorce, but our lawyer hopes that we can help to simplify the process. To learn more about working with a Pearland, TX divorce attorney and how our law firm can help you, please call the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates directly today at 281-280-0100 or use the contact form on our website to send us a message. Our lawyer is committed to putting your needs first, and remaining accessible and available as you go through this challenging time.