Skip to Main Content
Parental Relocation

Texas Parental Relocation Attorney

Petitions to Relocate Child Custody

When a primary conservator parent wants to move with the children, he or she must get approval from the Texas court with original jurisdiction over the custody agreement. These proceedings can be tense and bitterly fought, and may seem to defy an agreeable solution.

Whether you are the parent seeking to move away or the non-custodial parent opposing relocation of your kids, you need strong representation to state your case to the judge. The family law attorneys of Tad Nelson & Associates have experience in these tough cases.

We practice in the Houston metro area, Harris County, Galveston County and surrounding counties of Texas. Arrange a consultation today to discuss your specific situation. We handle all child custody matters, from initial determination to modifications and enforcement.

Galveston and Houston Move Away Attorney

In Texas, most child custody orders contain a geographic restriction on the co-parents. In the Houston-Galveston area, parents are typically free to relocate within Harris, Galveston and the contiguous counties. To move elsewhere in Texas, out of state, or out of the U.S. with the children requires court approval.

The court is concerned with the best interests of the child, not the desires or inconvenience of the parents, in deciding whether to grant parental relocation.

  • In representing the relocating parent, our role is to show that the child will have expanded opportunities, better schools or a family support network, or that the parent has found a better job to provide for the child.
  • In representing the non-primary parent, our goal is to show that the child-parent relationship would be harmed, that the child would be isolated or worse off, or that the custodial parent is moving for selfish reasons such as spite or a new love interest.

Tough Representation and Practical Solutions

Our lawyers also focus on what’s best for your child and (if the court grants relocation) how to make the long-distance relationship work. The primary parent may be required to pay transportation costs for the other parent’s visitation. The court may dictate daily contact with the child to preserve the bond with the parent left behind. Child support might be reduced and the non-custodial parent often gets increased time with the child in the summer months and on holidays and school breaks. We fight to ensure that the outcome is fair and workable.

Contact an experienced Texas parental relocation attorney at (281) 280-0100